T cells are key players in the immune system to fight against invading pathogens and cancer cells. T-cell based immunotherapies have been successfully applied in clinic to treat cancers and other diseases. However, current therapies show limited efficacy and adverse effects so that more mechanistic studies of T cell biology need to be performed to pave the way for next-generation immunotherapies.
In the past years, the Xu lab has developed cutting-edge biochemical and biophysical tools to study transmembrane signaling of T-cell receptor, co-stimulatory and co-inhibitory receptors. In addition, we also study lipid metabolism of T cells and have demonstrated the clinical potential of lipid-based immunotherapy.
1. Wu W#, Zhou Q#, Masubuchi T#, Shi X#, Li H, Xu X, Huang M, Meng L, He X, Zhu H, Gao S, Zhang N, Jing R, Sun J, Wang H, Hui E*, Wong C*, Xu C*, Multiple signaling roles of CD3e and its application in CAR-T cell therapy, Cell. 182(4):855-871.e23, 2020.
2. Meng X#, Liu X#, Guo X, Jiang S, Chen T, Hu Z, Liu H, Bai Y, Xue M, Hu R, Sun SC, Liu X, Zhou P, Huang X, Wei L, Yang W, Xu C*. FBXO38 mediates PD-1 ubiquitination and regulates anti-tumour immunity of T cells. Nature. 564 (7734): 130-135, 2018.
3. Yang W#, Pan W#, Chen S#, Trendel N#, Jiang S#, Xiao F, Xue M, Wu W, Peng Z, Li X, Ji H, Liu X, Jiang H, Wang H, Shen H, Dushek O*, Li H*, Xu C*. Dynamic regulation of CD28 conformation and signaling by charged lipids and ions. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, 24(12), pp 1081-1092, 2017.
4. Yang W#, Bai Y#, Xiong Y, Zhang J, Chen S, Zheng X, Meng X, Li L, Wang J, Xu C, Yan C, Wang L, Chang C, Chang T, Zhang T, Zhou P Song B, Liu W, Sun S, Liu X, Li B*, Xu C*. Potentiating the anti tumour response of CD8+ T cells by modulating cholesterol metabolism. Nature, 531(7596), pp 651-655, 2016.
5. Shi X#, Bi Y#, Yang W#, Guo X, Jiang Y, Wan C, Li L, Bai Y, Guo J, Wang Y, Chen X, Wu B, Sun H, Liu W, Wang J*, Xu C*. Ca2+ regulates T-cell receptor activation by modulating the charge property of lipids. Nature, 493(7430), pp 111-115, 2013.