一种针对 Omicron 变异株的 mRNA 疫苗
William Jia， Ph.D
- Senior Scientist, Brain Research Centre, UBC University, Canada (1994-2019)
- Associate Professor of Neurosurgery, UBC (tenured) (1994-2019)
- Chief Scientific Officer, Co-founder of Virogin Biotech Ltd (2015- current) Dr. Jia obtained his PhD in neurobiology from University of British Columbia (1991), MSc. Psychology (1987) from Dalhousie University in Canada, and BSc. Biology from Fudan University (1982) in China. Main achievements:
-In 1994, he published in The JOURNAL OF NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE for his work using engineered herpes simplex virus to treat glioma that was “the first to show the effectiveness of such therapy in an immunocompetent animal host” (cited from the editorial comment);
- He had awarded the Canadian National grants for many times and he was the receiver of the Canadian National Medical Scholarship (5 years);
- He was named as among Canada's best medical scientists in Time magazine (Canada Edition) in 1999;
- He has published more than 120 academic papers in peer-reviewed journals and was invited to present his research in numerous international conferences.
-He has been the major inventor of more than 20 patents. Dr.Jia has more than 20 years of experience in construction of oncolytic viruses and other viral vectors for gene therapy. He was the first in Canada and one of the few pioneers in the treatment of malignant tumors with recombinant oncolytic viruses and he holds many patents. His early research in effectiveness and safety of oncolytic viruses and virus caused neurotoxicity were widely cited. His invention of a novel HSV viral vector showed a much stronger anti-tumor potency by regulating viral gene expression in a tumor specific fashion without sacrificing the safety. Dr.Jia is an expert in virus induced immune responses and his research has also involved in SARS and COVID-19 diagnosis and treatment. In 2021, Dr.Jia led a joint team of CNBG-Virogin and Virogin to have successfully developed a mRNA vaccine for COVID-19 Omicron variant, which is under review by Chinese authority for clinical trials. Dr. Jia sit in the review panel of the National Cancer Institute of Canada (2003-2010) and the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) (2006). He is now a member of College of Reviewer of Canada. In 2015, Dr.Jia co-founded Virogin Biotech, an oncolytic virotherapy company in Canada. He is currently the chief scientific officer of Virogin to develop oncolytic viruses and novel vaccines.